Well... I don't really even know where to begin. There are so many things I have to write and want to write down so that I will remember these in years to come.
So Tim and I have been married just over a year now. We are currently living in an apartment in Orem, while Tim is finishing up school at UVU. He is Studying Business Marketing Management or something like that. I can't ever remember what the degree is actually called and so when people ask me what my husband is studying this is how it actually comes out. I recently graduated with my Bachelors in Science the degree is called Outdoor Recreation Management. When ever someone asks me what I graduated in and I tell them they always ask me ... "So did you just go camping all the time?" or funny questions like that. I also get the question.... "So you are going to be a Park Ranger?" hahaha REALLY??? when you look at me do you say to yourself, PARK RANGER!! heck no! I do LOVE the outdoors and would love to spend every minute of every day outside if I could and if it was warm and sunny of course, but I do love being close to things like a grocery store, restaurants, and shopping.
SIDE note: Since I met TIM (who works at the GAP in the Orem University Mall) I have started to well you could say enjoy shopping!! I have more clothes than I know what to do with.
I went for that degree because I actually would love to manage my own Recreation Center or Fitness Center one day. I enjoy working out and enjoy almost every sport there is. In April is when I walked and August is when I officially finished and received my Diploma. Some of you know but I had started an internship in April with Seven Peaks Water Park where I worked for two and a half week and than they decided to let me go. It was a very hard thing for me and that I had to deal with. I didn't understand and i had tons of thoughts running through my head when it all happened. They had told me that the reason for letting me go was that my schedule and personality were not working out for the job description. Which was very frustrating at the time because these particular people knew of my schedule and my hours that I could work before they even decided to interview me. Then.. my PERSONALITY! ahahah well I guess they just don't like Bubbly people who are great with customer service. At that point I had been working with Nuskin Enterprises for just over two years, which everyday for six hours I am practicing great customer service. Anyways... so what a wonderful Blessing this ended up to be to get fired from the place that i hated being at each day anyways. I had called my Professor that was over the internships to let him know that I had just been let go and wasn't sure on where to go or what to do. He happened to receive an email that morning from Dan Seder who is the Head in Recreation department over at Lindon who was looking for a Summer Head Swim Coach. What a perfect job opportunity for me!!! Swimming is my passion! I jumped on that like a Hawk. I called Dan up the very same day and applied. In my interview with him I was very nervous and not as confident with myself as I would have like to have been just because I had just been let go from my job and wasn't really having a positive attitude. I did try my very best however and just hoped that the 6 others who had applied and interviewed were not as qualified as I was. During the interview I mentioned that I used to coach for Lehi swim team and we started talking about the year to come and when the coaches meeting was. Dan mentioned that he wasn't sure on that so I said that I would call and speak with the manager at Lehi and than follow up with him. Which I did the very next day. When I left the interview on a Thursday, they said they would probably let me know if i got the position by the following Monday. An hour after I had made the call to them on Friday letting them know of when the meeting was they called me back to let me know they felt I would be the most qualified and wanted to hire me on as the Head Swim Coach. I was so thrilled I wanted to Cry!!! One of my dream jobs!! I have coached several swim teams before but never actually been the Head Coach of a team. What a great experience it was! There were several different things that I wanted to accomplish over the course of two months while coaching this team, but I also had so many things that I wasn't expecting come up that not all that I wanted to accomplish was finished. I wanted to create a kind of Coach's manual so that future coach's would have an idea of what to expect, have different drills and workouts for the kids so that this wouldn't be something they had to prepare each day. Something that would save them time and also just to have different ideas. Good News though! They invited me to come back again next year, which I am excited about. I will be preparing for this by creating those manuals for the next several months until the next season of swimming starts again.
Lets see.. Our one Year Anniversary was on August 7, 2010. We celebrated by going down to Vegas and visiting some friends Josh and Jenni Merrill. Where we went shopping and than the next morning Josh took us horseback riding somewhere out in the middle of no where in Las Vegas. We then traveled to St. George where we stayed at the Budget Inn. Not a bad place to stay! Work out room was something else.. nothing actually worked but everything else was great! We went to the Musical Tarzan at the Tuachan Theatre. That was amazing!! I am not usually someone to like musicals but this was really good! I enjoyed every minute of it.
Let me rewind again, sorry this is going to be scatter brained until i catch up to date. Back in the middle of may I was training for the Utah Valley Half Marathon and than later would be the St. George Marathon. I tore my Achilles tendon and found out that I have tendinitis in it as well. Oh the joys of letting that heal.. I wasn't able to run the Half Marathon which was in June because it was still healing. Finally in Late July I decided to try the running thing again... and results were... It worked.. I didn't hurt any more.. So I started the whole training process again. So 9 weeks later Oct 2nd running the St. George Marathon!! I was going for a 4 and a half hour finish time or really just hoping to finish after all that I had been through. So here's the story of the race and how I felt.. Mile 6 I clocked at 55 minutes and I thought to myself, "I thought I was going slower, slow down Melissa you went out way too fast, but I thought I was running slow, it is ok you are feeling great right now just keep going but slow it down a little. Mile 12 1 hr and 2min more had past.. ok good job you have slowed it down a little.... great but now I am feeling it.. the next four miles all I thought about was keep going you get to see your husband at mile 16.. you can do it!! I made it! Mile 16 it was now 2 hours and 44min in to the race! I was just on track for the 4 hr and 30 min mark! But I was feeling like crap!! I was in so much pain from my hips and all the way down my legs I just wanted to jump on the shuttle and be done with the stupid race. So I just told myself.. lets just finish... don't worry about your time just concentrate on finishing this race now! It was 90 degrees outside I had already guzzled probably 32 ounces of water by then and was still feeling dehydrated and wanting more!! There was one point where I was walking and a man on the side of the road asked if I needed anything.. I looked down to see his stash of coke and sprite or something and said.. "oh no... well unless you have water?" He said "I do a bottle it might be warm though" At that point I didn't care.. i just chugged the whole thing. The last three miles I finally started feeling a little better and thinking ok I can do this I am almost there. There were people handing out ICE which literally saved me... that felt so good. Then at 2 miles before the finish some sweet woman was handing out these huge yummy popsicles which i just walked and enjoyed that.. it was amazing! After that I felt like I could do it and I ran and ran until the finish! 5 hours and 6 minutes! not that great but i was just happy to finish this one. In 2008 when I ran it, the weather was completely different.. it was about 40 degrees outside and raining the entire time we ran. I finished that one in 4 hrs and 34 min.
No comments:
Post a Comment